What do you need?
1. Windows Xp installation disk,
2. Access to laptop or PC with working CD Cd-ROM DVD drive,
3. This file solution.zip
Let's start. Things to do on the computer with working CD-ROM drive.
1. Download solution.zip file.
2. Unpack solution.zip file on on drive C, you should have a folder named C:\Dos
3. Insert USB drive ( at least 1GB, not bigger then 2GB) into working USB port
4. Go to the folder C:\Dos and run HpUSBformat.exe file
- it should auto detect wyour USB disk, if not, select form the list ( my USB memory stick is drive G: )
- set other options like on the image below and click start.
- now you have got anUSB disk with bootable DOS system on it.
5. Copy all other files from C:/Dos to your USB disk. ( you can overwrite existing ones)
- your USB disk should look like this
6. Put your Windows Xp installation disk into CC-ROM and copy all files from CD to USB drive.
Things to do on target device (where Windows XP goes to).
7. Boot your laptop with previously prepared USB drive ( if you have problems, just check your BIOS or try to access boot menu, DEL? F10? F11? )
8. When system is booted up, and you see command prompt, type sys d: and hit enter
- if you see system transferred - you have luck, FAT32 filesystem is on drive C:, you will not lose your data
- go to step 11
- if any problem apears go to step 8
8. REMEMBER, you will loose all data from drive C:/
9. Type format c:/q/s to format drive D:
- accept and when it is finished, go to step 11 ( you are lucky, you don't need to make partitions)
- otherwise go to step 10
10. Type fdisk and hit enter
-create new partition ( after restart boot with pendrive in)
-go to step 9 and go back here :)
-type pqmagic and set your new partition active ( physical drive 2, Advanced A, set Active - S, are you sure - Y, Exit - X )
11.Type nc and hit enter, and using Norton Commander, copy all files form pendrive to disk C: ( you can overwrite existing ones)
12. Restart Laptop without pendrive in it ( it should start from harddrive)
13. Type cd i386 and hit enter ( it will enter i386 folder)
14 Type winnt and hit enter